½ ciabatta or sour dough bread, torn into chunky mouth-size pieces
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
8 thin slices prosciutto
4 fresh eggs (must be really fresh)
2 baby Cos lettuce, washed and torn in half
½ cup shaved parmesan
1 egg yolk
1 small clove garlic, chopped
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 anchovy fillets
2 tbsp grated parmesan
½ cup olive oil
- Place torn bread on an oven tray and drizzle with olive oil. Using hands toss lightly to distribute oil evenly over bread and sprinkle with salt flakes. Bake in a preheated oven of 200ºC for 10 -15 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
- Place slices of prosciutto on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and cook in a 200ºC oven for 5 - 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove from oven, allow to cool then break into shards.
- Prepare dressing; place all ingredients except oil into a blender and process until mixed. With the motor running, slowly add oil drop by drop initially, then in a slow stream. Adjust consistency by adding 2 tablespoons of warm water.
- Poach eggs; bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Crack egg into a cup. When boiling reduce heat to a very slow simmer and form a whirlpool. Drop cracked egg into the whirlpool, reduce heat to a very slow simmer and allow egg to wrap around itself and cook for 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove egg and place on paper towel until ready to use. Repeat process with remaining eggs.
- Combine lettuce, crispy bread, prosciutto and a little shaved parmesan in a large bowl. Drizzle with a little dressing and toss to coat lettuce. Divide lettuce between 4 serving bowls and top each with a poached egg and a little shaved parmesan. Drizzle with extra dressing and serve.